Girls on the Run York County
Girls on the Run York County
We’d like to thank all the girls, running buddies, coaches, family and friends that celebrated each girl’s success at last year’s Fall 2013 Session 5K Race at Cousler Park. Despite the cold temperatures, everyone had a great time. The girls really shined as they ran their 5K, fulfilling the goals each one set at the beginning of the session. Remember: The finish line is just the beginning.The girls can utilize the positive tools they learned throughout their lifetimes.
We want as many girls as possible from across York County to benefit from this interactive, life-inspiring program. Here’s the latest news!
· All girls must be able to commit to both practice days and mandatory events (including a one-time community service project and the 5K race) in order to participate.
· Program fee for the Spring 2014 session is $150* and includes the following items:
Session t-shirt; 5K race registration, medals, lesson supplies (such as liability insurance for the girls’ protection, CPR/First Aid certified coaches, GOTR curriculum, lesson materials, and an end-of-season celebration.
Fees may vary per site if a specific site has received individual grant/donation monies.
· A limited amount of scholarships are available.*Verify scholarship eligibility here! All participants with proof of household income will receive scholarship money.
· Sibling Discount(s) are available. When one regular registration is paid in full for the first girl, siblings receive a discount of $25.
· Coaches Discount: Coaches’ daughters receive an appreciation discount of $50.
2014 Participating Schools
Spring 2014 Girls on the Run Participants
"Girls on the Run taught me to respect and believe in myself!" -GOTR Participant, Spring 2012
think character development, not running program...
· Girls on the Run (GOTR) is an international non-profit program which combines an interactive curriculum(24 lessons which involve group processing, games, and workouts) and physical activity to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles in pre-teen girls (grades 3-8)
· The program meets after school from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. two days a week (days determined by coaching staff at school). GOTR sessions are offered in the fall (September-December) and the spring (January-April).
· Our core curriculum addresses many aspects of girls' development- their physical, emotional, mental, and social well-being. Lessons provide the girls with tools to make positive decisions and to avoid risky behaviors.
· At the end of each season, the girls choose and conduct a community project and complete a 5K together as a group. Though a 5K is part of our curriculum, we are NOT a running program! We encourage girls to walk, skip, hop, jump, or run their way to a healthy body!.
Mission & Objective
Mission: To educate and prepare girls for a lifetime of self-respect and healthy living.
Objective: Girls on the Run of YWCA York in York, PA is an Affiliate Council of Girls on the Run International, which has a network of over 160 locations across the United States and Canada. Our objective is to reduce the potential display of at-risk activities among its participants. The goal is fewer adolescent pregnancies and eating disorders, less depression and suicidal attempts, as well as fewer substance/ alcohol abuse problems and confrontations with the juvenile justice system.
Academic evaluations of the program show a statistically significant improvement in body image, eating attitudes, and self-esteem.
Evidence also indicates an improved sense of identity and an increasingly active lifestyle for program participants.
GOTR York is always looking to expand and for passionate and dedicated head and assistant coaches! GOTR will provide all necessary training and coaching materials. You do not have to be a runner to be a coach! For further questions regarding the program please contact Council Director, Tara Neffor Program Coordinator, Dorothy English. Solemates
SoleMates is the adult running charity leg of Girls on the Run. SoleMates are a team of male or female athletes who pursue independent goals, such as running a race of any distance, to raise money for local Girls on the Run chapters. Sign up to run, walk, or bike in the event of your choice and raise money for Girls on the Run of York, which receives 100% of the funds your raise for scholarships for girls in York County.
As a SoleMate you, you will pay $26 to register and then agree to raise a minimum of $262 on or before 30 days after completing the race of your choice. If you do not raise the $262 you will be personally responsible for this amount. Participants must sign up for their chosen event independently.
Special Thanks to our and Fall 2013 Local Donors:
· Duncan-Nulph Hearing Associates
· A Loving Grandmother
· Phillips financial Services, Inc.
· Seeds to Grow
· Shallow Brook Intermediate School
· Spring Grove Intermediate School
· Wellsville Elementary School
Our Spring 2014 program is off & running, with approximately 215 girls, 53 coaches, and 6 junior coaches at 18 sites across York County. (2014 Sites are listed below.) Girls are enjoying fun filled, life-changing lessons that creatively incorporate exercise and running empowering them to be strong, confident young women.
GOTR 5K/Race Against Racism: Saturday, April 26, 2014: REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
GOTR girls, running buddies and GOTR Alumni can register using the following link:
Please note: Each GOTR participant is allowed only one (1) running buddy.
Family, friends, and others are invited to join in the fun. Each of these runners can register by clicking on http://rar2014.kintera.org/
To help please signup to be a coach by following the We Need Coaches link:
Date: Saturday, April 26, 2014
Times: 8 AM Coaches Arrival
8:15 Am Girls Arrival
8:15-8:55AM GOTR Pre-race Activities (Hair Station, Tattoo Station, and MORE!)
9 AM RACE BEGINS!
For more information, contact Dorothy English (firstname.lastname@example.org).
GOTR 2014 Fall Session: Now Accepting New Sites and Current Sites Renewals
GOTR York is now accepting new sites and current site renewal applications for its 2014 Fall Session (September 14, 2014 – December 6, 2014). If your school is interested in joining the 2014 Fall Session, please download and complete GOTR York’s site application.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications are due on or before Friday, May 16, 2014, for those schools whose coaches will attend the first Coaches’ Training on June 7, 2014 or due on or before Friday, July 18, 2014 for those who will attend the second Coaches’ Training, scheduled for Saturday, August 2, 2014.
GOTR Updated sponsors: Here are our current 2013/2014 Valued GOTR Sponsors
A Loving Grandmother
Seeds To Grow Foundation