In 2007-08, the Pennsylvania Government approved $75 million for a new, Pre-K Counts program to provide free part-time or full-time Pre-K services to about 11,000 3- and 4-year-olds. YWCA York has been fortunate to participate in this wonderful program from the beginning.
Pre-K Counts Classrooms:
- Ages 3-5
- Part-time and full-time classes available
- Meals and snacks provided
- Location: 320 East Market Street, York, PA 17403
Why Pre-K Matters:
- Ninety percent of brain development occurs before age 5; it is important to stimulate young minds as early as possible.
- Children who attend high quality pre-kindergarten enter school more prepared, and achieve greater educational success, including fewer grade retentions, less remediation, higher standardized test scores, and higher graduation rates.
- Pennsylvania's investment in quality pre-kindergarten programs could save $100 million in future special education costs.
- The most recent cost-benefit analysis of the "Perry Preschool Program" in Michigan has revealed that for every $1 spent, an estimated $17 was saved in lower public expenditures for education, welfare, delinquency, crime control, and other public spending.
For more information, contact Program Director Angie Sparks.